A brief chronology of Kuressaare’s history
From a historic point of view Kuressaare has enjoyed a very diverse past – centuries full of foreign rule, diseases, economic growth and downfall. After the construction of the bulky Episcopal Castle started in the 13th century, more and more people settled next to the fortification.
At the beginning of the 18th century, the plague and the invasion of Tsarist troops meant economic downfall of the city – a very dark period followed that only came to an end over 100 years later.
The year 1840 was a remarkable turning point in the local economy due to the inauguration of the first public mud bath by a German doctor. Very quickly, Kuressaare developed into a popular health resort.
When the Soviet Russia gained power in Estonia in 1944, the name of the town was changed into “Kingissepp”, after a communist who had been born in Kuressaare.
With the independence in 1991, the name of the town changed again. Kuressaare has been economically self-sustaining since then, tourism grows steadily and profits increase. So far, there are no signs of economic stagnation for the future.
- Next topic: Sightseeing Kuressaare